The Choice is Yours: 52 Choices for Happier Lives
The Choice is Yours is a compilation from a weekly blog Barbara Dahlgren has written for the past five years. The book includes 52 life choices, so it works as a one-year weekly study you can do alone or in a group.
Each choice includes suggestions for practicing that particular choice, related scripture, and an exercise to help you think through your choice. Dahlgren has a delightful sense of humor and believes that because God created laughter, He wants us to laugh and not take ourselves too seriously.
Some examples of the choices are (comments in parentheses are mine, not Dahlgren’s):
- Choose to believe in God
- Choose to forgive (a topic especially significant to me because the theme of my novel Choices is forgiveness)
- Choose to make prayer a priority (not easy in today’s busy world)
- Choose not to offend
- Choose not to be offended (if we all made this choice, so many of the problems our nation faces would disappear)
- Choose to celebrate life
This book is a wonderful combination of practical wisdom, Biblical truths, and clear choices. Try one per week and see how your life can change.
Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the publisher. The opinions expressed are mine.
About the Book
Author: Barbara Dahlgren
Genre: Religion/Christian Living/Devotional
Release Date: November 2019
Do you stress over making decisions? Does the possibility of making the wrong choice paralyze you? In The Choice Is Yours: 52 Choices for Happier Lives, Barbara Dahlgren explores decisions we face daily. She does so with the spiritual insight and practicality developed through fifty years of ministry. The Choice Is Yours is drawn from Dahlgren’s blog, Barbara’s Banter: taking my faith but not myself too seriously, and is suitable for a devotional or a Bible study tool. Each chapter includes practical suggestions, a key Bible verse, and the option for the reader to jot down their own tips for making better choices in daily life.
Click here to purchase your copy.
About the Author
More from Barbara
When my granddaughter was in preschool, she came home one day and was sad. Her mom asked what was wrong. Sophia replied, “My teacher said I didn’t make good choices today.”
I always felt her teacher had a great deal of wisdom. Instead of saying Sophia was naughty or bad, she planted a seed of thought into her little life about making better choices. Better choices lead to happier lives. In a way, that was the inspiration for my latest blog theme which led to this book.
My first book was called Zorro and Me. It was about my husband, whom I’ve nicknamed Zorro, and our experiences in 50 years of ministry. Usually known as a humorist, I try to intersperse a lot of personal experiences in my speaking and writing. My philosophy is to take my faith, but not myself, too seriously. I think we would all be happier if we chose to laugh more and criticize less.
Here’s a little quiz to get to know me better. Which one do you think is false?
- I was born many years ago in the foothills of the Ozarks in a town with a population of 10.
- While on a mission trip to Nigeria, our children were held captive by the police for a few hours.
- My son was unexpectedly born in a hotel room while we were traveling, so we used a dresser drawer as a baby bed.
- I’ve mounted a camel near the Great Pyramids in Egypt, climbed the Great Wall in China, leaned with the Tower of Pisa in Italy, and been on safari in Kenya.
- While on a teen trip touring the White House, one of my children became ill, so the Secret Service took him outside where he barfed behind a big bush on the White House lawn. It’s the one on the left when you look at pictures of the White House.
Guess what! They are all true. There’s more, but I don’t want to give all my secrets away today.
Truth and Grace Homeschool Academy, November 23
Jacquelyn Lynn, November 24
Mary Hake, November 24
For the Love of Literature, November 25
Abba’s Prayer Warrior Princess , November 26
Older & Smarter?, November 27
My Devotional Thoughts , November 28
Adventures of a Travelers Wife, November 29
Happily Managing a Household of Boys, November 29
CarpeDiem, November 30
Debbie’s Dusty Deliberations, December 1
Texas Book-aholic, December 2
janicesbookreviews, December 3
Library Lady’s Kid Lit, December 4
A Reader’s Brain, December 5
Inklings and notions, December 6
Be sure to comment on the blog stops for nine extra entries into the giveaway! Click the link below to enter.