You’ve heard the popular Vince Lombardi quote: “Winners never quit and quitters never win.”
That’s meant to encourage perseverance, but it’s not always true.
Sometimes quitting can make you a winner.
Here are seven things you could quit right now that will make your life happier, richer and far more fulfilling:
- Quit doing things that aren’t moving you closer to your goals. If you’re going to quit this, you need to first articulate your goals—professional and personal—and know what you have to do to reach them.
- Quit making excuses. Excuses just shift the blame to someone or something else outside yourself. Take responsibility for yourself.
- Quit doing things that don’t bring you joy. If it’s not making you happy, stop doing it.
- Quit doing things that aren’t good for you emotionally or physically. You know the main ones: smoking, overeating, eating junk food and excessive alcohol consumption. What else are you doing that isn’t good for you? Figure it out and quit.
- Quit saying yes when you really want to say no. It’s okay to say no, regardless of your reason.
- Quit refusing to take care of yourself because you’ve somehow come to believe that doing so is selfish. If you aren’t taking care of yourself, you can’t take care of anyone else for long.
- Quit holding onto things that are poisoning your life. Let go of anger, grudges and hurt feelings. The only person these emotions are hurting is you.